The Colonial era in Nigeria started way back in 1861 when Lagos was officially made a British colony. Through a progressive sequence of regimes, the British imposed Crown Colony government on the area of West Africa which came to be known as Nigeria, a form of rule which was both autocratic and bureaucratic. After initially adopting an indirect rule approach, in 1906 the British merged the small Lagos Colony and the Southern Nigeria Protectorate into a new Colony of Southern Nigeria, and in 1914 that was combined with the Northern Nigeria Protectorate to form the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria. Lots of elegant structures and buildings were constructed during this colonial era with distinguished styles. Some of them might have lost their shape and form while others still boast of their initial look or even much better.
From Norman Gothic style cathedrals to Hill-top Neoclassical Town Halls, here is a list of the top colonial destinations in Nigeria;
Cathedral Church of Christ Cathedral
This is the oldest Anglican Cathedral in Nigeria, the foundation stone to this current design was laid by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) on the 21st of April, 1925, and was completed in 1946. In 1976 the relics of Rev Dr Samuel Ajayi Crowther, a former Yoruba slave who became the first African bishop in the Anglican Church, were translated to the cathedral. There is a cenotaph erected as a memorial of him. At different periods, the cathedral was the seat of the archbishop of the Province of West Africa, the seat of the archbishop and primate of All Nigeria and the seat of the archbishop of the Province of Lagos. It is currently the seat of the Bishop of Lagos.
Located on the outskirts of Kano, close to Tiga dam, is a colonial destination with a remarkable tale and amazing features. The hotel hosted Queen Elizabeth II during her first visit to Nigeria in 1956. It has over 50 rooms, a conference hall, a swimming pool, barbecue joints and a large green vegetation.
Calabar Botanical Garden
Calabar Botanical Garden is the first botanical garden in Nigeria. The botanical gardens were established by the British colonial administration in the mid-1880’s to introduce economic crops into Nigeria from other parts of the tropics and to cultivate African plants for export to other parts of the empire. It’s a gracious and beautiful landmark that has stood for more than a century. It offers a lovely scenery with a fresh feel of natural splendour.
Constructed in 1925, Mapo Hall is one graceful colonial structure that has stood the test of time. Used in the colonial era for administrative purposes, Mapo Hall presents itself as a distinct building now known for organizing traditional events, symposia and political rallies. Due to its location at the top of a hill, a beautiful and lovely view of major parts in Ibadan can be observed.
St George’s Hall
Located on Broad Street, Marina in Lagos, this hall was built in 1907 and was opened by the then Governor of Lagos colony and Southern Nigeria, Sir Walter Egerton. Its Brazilian style of architecture shows exquisitely furnished pillars and railings in the balcony and is a superb example of the architectural ingenuity of Colonial Nigeria.
Old Residence Building
This superb work of architecture tells visitors great stories of Nigeria’s colonial history. Built on the Consular hill in 1884, the Old Residence building also known as Government House is a two-storey building made of pre-fabricated Scandinavian red pine wood that was shipped in knocked down parts from Britain to Calabar.
Sources from Enroute.ng